Where the name came from?
The history dates back to the Gold Rush when a group of Kentucky farmers made the trek across the country in Conestoga wagons. At least one of the wagons bore the message "California or bust" on one side and "The Mt. Eden Company" on the other. The story goes that when these people reached the swampy shores of San Francisco Bay in 1850, they hung the Mt. Eden banner between two trees and established Eden Landing that same year. They formed Eden Township in 1853, according to "California Place Names" by Erwin Gustav Gudde.
The Eden Landing name stuck through the years, eventually applying to the 300-acre Eden Landing Ecological Preserve west of the housing development and south of the San Mateo Bridge.
The preserve's history goes back to 2003, when thousands of acres of salt production ponds owned by Cargill Inc. passed into public ownership and efforts to restore those lands to tidal marshland began. In 2003, Standard Pacific built its first 525 houses at Eden Shores - The Breakers, The Cape and the Bay. In 2015, Standard Pacific built another 139 houses at Bridgeport and 122 condos in the nearby Crossings.